Breakfast can be boring. There's not a whole lot of fun in a bowl of cereal, if you ask me. These Bacon, Egg, and Toast Cups, however, make breakfast something to talk about.
Sometimes it's fun to mix it up with something creative and different, you know? Muffin tins do the trick for this recipe. Don't you just love muffin tins? They're for more than just muffins!
This recipe takes all of the ingredients from your classic bacon and eggs breakfast and transforms them into a meal to remember. Impress your brunch guests (or even your kids!) with these creative little beauties!
This recipe uses a 12-cup muffin tin. If you are using a smaller tin, scale ingredients accordingly.
- 12 eggs
- 12 slices bacon
- 12 pieces bread (I like to use whole wheat)
- butter, for greasing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°. Grease your muffin tin with the butter. (To do this, I cut off a couple of tablespoons of butter from the stick, hold it with a paper towel, and rub it all around the inside of the cups.)
- Use a rolling pin to flatten your slices of bread, then cut them into large rounds. (I used a circular cookie cutter to do this.) Put one slice of bread into each muffin cup and press it around the edges of the tin so it makes a little cup.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until almost crispy, but still pliable. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. When cool enough to handle, place one slice of bacon into each cup.
- Gently crack an egg into each cup and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or just until the eggs whites are set. Use a plastic knife to loosen the cups from the pan and serve immediately.
- Make sure your bread slices come at least to the top of the cups. A little taller than the cups is best to make sure the eggs don't spill out.
- Source: Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.