First of all, let me say that if you don't own a cast iron skillet, that's okay! You CAN prepare this recipe without one! (Well, no, it's really not okay because you really should have one in your kitchen arsenal because they are amazing, but that's not the point here.)
You may be thinking, ohhh corn, that means healthy right? Ah, no. By no means is this a healthy recipe, so any of you friends that are trying to stay on the healthy train, this recipe is gonna knock your butt right off.
Healthy: no. Tasty: oh, yeah. So rich, creamy and delicious. But don't be deceived! One (that means my husband) might think that this comes out of the oven in the consistency of your traditional cornbread. It is, in fact, much mushier in texture. I've even heard similar recipes called corn pudding, which should help you with the mental picture.
If you like corn, you'll like this corn casserole, plain and simple. It's a great accompaniment to burgers, ribs, hot dogs...all that summertime food we've all been looking forward to!
- 3/4 cup (a stick and a half) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans cream style corn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) box cornbread mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- see Notes for optional add-ins
- Preheat you oven to 350°.
- In a cast iron skillet or large frying pan, saute the onion in the butter until it's soft.
- Add the cornbread mix, cans of corn, eggs and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well until completely combined.
- If you've been using a cast iron skillet, cover it with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven. If you're not using a cast iron skillet, transfer the mixture to a 9x13 baking dish, cover with foil and place it into the oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Try mixing in one of these optional add-ins for added yumminess: shredded cheese, diced green chilies or jalapenos, green bell pepper or red bell pepper.
- Adapted from a recipe found on allrecipes.com.