I have to say that broccoli has never really been on of my favorites. That is, until I starting having pregnancy cravings this time around. I'm not really wanting a pile of broccoli on a plate, but anything that has broccoli in it. Oh yeah. So freaking good.
That's what made me decide to pull out this soup recipe from my files. I know that some of you would probably give me flack for using a ton processed cheese alongside all that healthful broccoli, but it tastes sooooo good. So go on, I'll take the criticism. A pregnant lady wants what a pregnant lady wants...what can I say?!
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 14.5 cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 lbs Velveeta, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Add the broccoli and the chicken broth. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, then once boiling lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli is nice and tender. (I like my broccoli to be super duper tender and falling apart a bit.)
- Reduce the heat to medium low and stir in the cheese cubes and milk. Stir frequently until all of the cheese has melted.
- In a small bowl, add the cornstarch to the water and stir until combined. Add the mixture to the soup and continue to stir frequently until the soup has thickened.
- Adapted from a recipe found on allrecipes.com.