When I see the words sweet and salty in the title of a recipe, I know that I'm going to like it. I've never been a huge fan of sweets, but me and salt? We're like peas and carrots. Salted peanuts and a little sprinkle of coarse sea salt round out the sugary goodness of these delicious popcorn balls. A treat like this can be transformed into a great gift by wrapping in a clear little bag and tying with a pretty ribbon. Valentines Day for your favorite people, perhaps? I know I wouldn't mind a sweet treat like this on Valentine's Day!
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 cup popped popcorn (I used about 12, close is good)
- ½ cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup toffee bits
- ½ cup peanut butter chips, chocolate chips OR white chocolate chips (you choose!)
- coarse sea salt
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine butter, sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted. Bring to a boil and add condensed milk. Continue boiling for 5 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl, Pour butter mixture over popcorn, gently tossing to coat completely. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Toss in peanuts, toffee and chips.
- When mixture has cooled enough to handle, grease hands with vegetable oil or cooking spray and shape into 2 inch balls. Place balls on cookie sheet and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature. Best if eaten within 2 days of preparing.
- Source: All You