- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked (Try my recipe!)
- 3 lbs apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg (about an eighth of a teaspoon)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup Salted Caramel Sauce (recipe below)
- egg wash
- Brandied Whipped Cream, optional (recipe below)
- Line a 9 inch pie plate with one of the crusts. Put in the freezer until ready to fill.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Make sure the rack is in the bottom third of the oven.
- Cut the apples into ¼ inch slices and toss with the lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch. Add ½ cup salted caramel sauce and toss to combine. Pour the apples into the chilled pie shell.
- Roll out the remaining crust. Us a knife to cut slits or designs into the crust. Brush the edges of the bottom crust with the egg wash and carefully place the top crust on top, sealing the edges. Crimp the perimeter of the crust with your fingers to make a pretty edge.
- Brush the pie with the extra egg wash and lightly sprinkle with sugar. Place the pie in the freezer until the crust is cold and firm.
- Bake the pie on a foil lined baking sheet until the crust begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375° and bake for an additional 50 minutes. Tent the pie with foil if the crust browns too quickly.
- Cool pie and serve with Salted Caramel Sauce and Brandied Whipped Cream.
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Combine water, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Brush the inside edges of the saucepan with water to dissolve any sugar crystals sticking to the sides of the pot. Reduce heat to medium and allow the mixture to boil, gently swirling the pan occasionally. (Don't stir with a spoon! Just pick the pan up slightly and swirl it around.) Cook for about 25 minutes, until the mixture is a light amber color.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream and butter. The mixture will bubble then settle. Stir in the vanilla and set aside to cool.
Brandied Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp brandy (Don't drink brandy? Neither do I. Simple solution: go to the liquor store and pick up one of the itty bitty single serving bottles of brandy for less than two bucks. Problem solved.)
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream on medium high speed until foamy. Add the sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Beat in the brandy. (I added one tbsp and wanted a slightly stronger brandy taste, so I added a second tbsp.)
- Salted Caramel Sauce can be refrigerated for up to one month.
- Source: Ladies' Home Journal