Making sausage at home is so much easier than you think. Don't worry if you don't have a meat grinder! I lucked out and got a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a meat grinder attachment as a wedding gift (lucky me, right?), but you can always buy the meat pre-ground at the store and use it for this recipe. Just don't buy it seasoned yet. That's what's special about this recipe...all the beautiful spices! And the lack of chemicals. It's one of those times when it's pretty cool to know exactly what's going into your food.
If you make the small investment on the spices that you might not already have in your pantry, you can make superior Italian Sausage that's way healthier, way tastier, and for way less money that pre-made stuff. And if you don't have a meat grinder, I highly recommend getting one. I always feel kind of primal and oddly fulfilled when I'm standing in my kitchen pretending I'm a butcher and grinding my own meat. Fun stuff!
- 3 lbs pork (You can use a pork roast, pork butt or even tenderloin for a leaner sausage. If you don't have a meat grinder, you can buy pork that is already ground. You can also use ground turkey.)
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- If you're using meat that is pre-ground, put all of the ingredients into a large bowl and use your hands to mix everything together until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Source: Adapted from a recipe found on Allrecipes.com.
Don't forget to enter my Cooking Planit T-fal Giveaway while you're here for a gorgeous set of T-fal Cookware! Click the image below to go to the Contest Page!