I love me some good ol' southern comfort food. If that's what you're looking for, well let me tell you, this Chicken Fried Chicken TAKES.THE.CAKE. (Yes, I did the whole caps lock with periods for emphasis thing right there. That's how strongly I feel about this dish.)
I'm sure you've heard of Chicken Fried Steak, which is pretty much the sister recipe to this one. Same concept, just switch out the beef for chicken. Trust me, we eat enough beef around here. I prefer tender, juicy chicken breasts coated in a golden crispy crust covered in creamy peppery gravy...mmmm. Throw a generous helping of silky smooth mashed potatoes on the side and you've got perfection on a plate. Yum, yum and yum.
This one'll stick to your ribs and leave your tummy satisfied, I can guarantee that. My husband took one bite and gave me the, "This is good." On the first bite. Now that's success and makes me one happy mama.
- 2 large chicken breasts (my 2 chicken breasts were around 1½ lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour plus an additional ⅓ cup for the gravy
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk plus an additional 2+ cups for the gravy
- canola oil for frying
- more salt and pepper, to taste
- Also pictured: Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- Try this recipe for chicken tenders! Omit making the gravy and serve with your favorite tender dipping sauce. YUM!
- Source: Adapted from Chicken Fried Chicken found on Malisa's Food Blog.