Sweet or salty? For most, the choice is an easy one. You're either going for the cookie or the potato chip. Me? I'm a salty girl, for sure. I go for the salty choice without hesitation every time. That's why, when I think pie, I'm thinkin' savory. Chicken Pot Pie, Shepherd's Pie and Taco Pie. Quiche, Spanakopita and Tourtiere. Yum, yum and yum. And you can't forget one of my family's favorites, good old American Cheeseburger Pie. All of the classic burger flavors translated into a perfect-for-fall pie. The bright and fresh tomatoes topped with the sharp gooey cheese make for a colorful presentation and the unexpected ingredient, cottage cheese, adds a richness that is balanced by the golden brown, flaky pie crust. (I know what you're thinking, cottage cheese? On a burger? It's not weird, I swear! Just try it...Two Bite Club, remember?) Serve with you fav burger toppers on the side and you're set. I like mine with a little dill relish and ketchup. Good stuff. You can keep your Chocolate Cream, Dutch Apple and Lemon Meringue. I'll stick with the ultimate comforting cold weather favorite: savory pies!
- 9 inch pie crust, store-bought or homemade
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, sliced
|Pre-baked pie ready to go in the oven.|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a frying pan until beef is browned and onion is soft. Drain grease. Season with salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. Cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cottage cheese and eggs.
- Spoon beef mixture into the pie crust. Pour cottage cheese mixture over beef mixture. Top with sliced tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.